The Missoni fashion house is founded in 1953 by Ottavio and Rosita Missoni in Gallarate. The first collection to bear the Missoni label was called Milano-Sympathy and was launched in 1958. The business was going well with the support of the legendary Anna Piaggi. On a trip to New York Rosita Missoni met Emmanuelle Khanh which led to a collaboration in 1965. The followed collection was a radical change. In 1967 the brand was invited to the fashion show at the Pitti Palace in Florence. Because the models did not wear brassieres and the almost transparent dresses the show provoked sensation. The following year Missoni was not invited but the company was grewing stronger building a new factory in Sumirago in 1969. The peak of Missoni’s influence in fashion world was in the early 1970s. Ottavio Missoni extended his interest in design above the boundaries of fashion. Missoni knitwear became famous for its multitude of patterns such as stripes, geometrics and abstract florals. The label is also known for the liberal use of many different fabrics such as wool, cotton, linen, rayon and silk.